
The whole concept of getting news from the internet is something I've thought about a bit already because I can't afford to subscribe to every newspaper out there. I wouldn't have time to read them even if I had the money. Basically I read the Salt Lake Tribune and listen to NPR. My husband and I subscribe to all kinds of news-type magazines - Orion, Progressive Populist, The Hightower Lowdown (basically a bunch of left-leaning, liberal rags. But I think everyone already knows that about us). We don't watch television and don't have time for it anyway.
Using Bloglines would be a great way to get news quickly because I could sign up for the specific organizations that interest me, but I know I won't do it. I'm already spending far too much in front of a screen.
Still I signed up for news about cat and news about animals. I think students are always interested in things like that, so I thought I'd follow along. I also signed up for a quote of the day. When I was teaching, I had a quote posted on the board every week. Students enjoyed reading them even though that was basically all I did with the quote - post them. Once I didn't post a quote and several students asked about it.
Many of my student teachers use quotes as bell-ringers. I really like the idea. When I'm a librarian, I'm going to post quotes about reading, books, learning, etc. I'm hoping this feed will be useful.

No comments:
Post a Comment